So what is an “active adult neighborhood“? Most folks think of that picture we have all seen…a couple with graying hair in the swimming pool or maybe on bikes, a group of couples playing miniature golf or having a barbecue. In Metro Atlanta active adult neighborhoods mean that and more so we wanted to address some of those myths.
Myth # 1…You do not have to be retired and over 55 to live in most active adult neighborhoods in Metro Atlanta. Most Atlanta active adult communities are not age restricted. You will find most of the residents 55 plus and you will also find residents under that age. In most communities, you will find the mixture of residents that consist of:
- people who have lived in the general area and due to age or health need a smaller one-level home such as a ranch patio home – stairs become more difficult at different times for different people
- people who have moved to the area to live in a retirement community in Atlanta to be near family – these folks are usually a little older
- people who are still actively working that want a smaller home and little home maintenance within a adult community in Atlanta – someone else to mow the grass and worry about the roof
Myth #2…Homeowner fees are expensive. Not true – you are paying for numerous services within one fee and taking away lots of responsibility that you have with a single family residence. Homeowner fees include:
- garbage pick-up
- water, sewer, termite bonds, landscape irrigation
- insurance on the building
- use of any neighborhood common elements – pool, clubhouse, fitness center
- landscaping and ground maintenance of the community
- exterior maintenance of home
Myth #3…An active adult neighborhood is not living in an apartment or condo setting. Each home is individual with a front door, kitchen and privacy – you own the home. Homes may be attached and share some common walls. This is a way to give up the yard work and maintenance of a house but still live in a home. Atlanta retirement communities have plenty of green space. In many Atlanta active adult communities you can have garden space if you so choose. You will see neighbors visiting while out for an evening walk.
Is an active adult community for everyone? No, it is not; however, if you are looking to own your home and have an independent lifestyle you probably want to check out some of Atlanta’s 55 Plus neighborhoods.