Tax Exemption for Senior Citizens of Cherokee & Cobb Co

Do you live in Cobb or Cherokee County?  Are you over 62?  If so, you can apply for an school tax exemption on your Cherokee Senior Citizens Tax Savingsproperty taxes.  The exemption will save you approximately 65% of the tax bill for unincorporated Cobb County.  To apply, fill out the form provided by the Cobb County Tax Assessor Office by March 1 for the exemption.  You need to apply only once not yearly.  And for most, the savings is hundreds of dollars!

What happens if you do not live in Cobb County?  This tax saving is different from county to county.  In neighboring Cherokee County senior tax breaks, including Woodstock GA, there is also an exemption at age 62.  The exemption is for up to $320,625.00 and then is a graduated portion.  In Cherokee, March 1 is the deadline for applying.

To all of you that have earned this exemption, thank you for believing in the American Dream of Home-ownership and for supporting our school systems for years!  You deserve these rewards. If you need information about other Georgia Counties and school tax exemptions, please email your questions.  If you are over 62 and looking for a home, you may want to consider Cobb and Cherokee Counties for a home due to school tax exemptions.

{ 21 comments… add one }
  • Jessica November 25, 2012, 7:20 am

    Could you explain the taxes in Cherokee county for seniors. Is the $326,000 a year or for the time living in your home?

    • Kathy & Ben November 26, 2012, 11:52 am

      The exemption is on the first 326,000 in value of your primary residence for every year going forward once you apply for the exemption. So if your home is valued at $400,000, you are taxed on the roughly $74,000 value above the $326,000. The exemption is based on age, not how long you have lived in the home. Hope this helps but if not, let us know what other questions you have.

  • Michael Fistel January 9, 2013, 6:54 am

    My wife and I just purchased a home in Canton for approximately 225,000.00. Bothof us are seniors. Is it possible to estimate how much we will be paying in taxes for our new home once built?

    • Kathy & Ben January 12, 2013, 6:16 pm

      You should be able to get an idea by contacting the county tax assessor’s office at 678-493-6120

  • Ann April 2, 2013, 10:17 pm

    Can you please tell me if the Cobb County real estate tax exemption for seniors would apply if it was for a lot – and if we did not live in Cobb County? We currently live in Fulton County but are planning to build a house in Cobb. Thank you for the information.

    • Kathy & Ben April 3, 2013, 7:53 am

      Ann, In answer to your question, to qualify for the tax exemption for seniors, the property must be your primary residence and you have a homestead exemption. A lot would not qualify. Once you build your home and reside there and it becomes your primary residence you can apply for the homestead exemption and the senior school tax exemption.

  • Julie April 30, 2013, 12:08 pm

    My husband is 2 years older than I. Are we eligible for the school tax exemption when he turns 62, or must we wait until we both are? Thanks in advance for the info.

    • Kathy & Ben April 30, 2013, 1:35 pm

      You are eligible to apply on January 1 the year after he turns 62 but you must apply. Here is a handy post showing all Metro Atlanta counties and their exemptions. We are happy to assist if you are looking to purchase in Metro Atlanta.

      • Kathy & Ben May 1, 2013, 4:40 pm

        Glad to help Julie.

    • David July 9, 2013, 8:03 am


      Did you receive an answer to your question regarding both or only one adult needs to be age 62? I turned 62 on June 21st, 2013 and am retired. My wife is only 55 and works full time. So do we qualify even though my wife still brings in an income?

      Thank you,


      • Kathy & Ben July 9, 2013, 8:41 am

        Hi David. In all the counties we are aware of, only one person on the deed needs to qualify for an exemption unless the exemption is based on income, which is normally based on household income. We are glad to assist you in more detail if you are looking to purchase a home in North Metro Atlanta. We specialize in Active Adult neighborhoods and know of several where one spouse is still working. Please feel free to call Ben at 404-323-0049 for help in getting started.

      • Kathy & Ben July 9, 2013, 9:00 am

        David, At least one person in the household must be 62 to file for the Senior Tax Exemption. It is okay if someone is still working.

  • Barney Kendall May 26, 2013, 7:37 am

    I am 64 years old and live on five acres in Cherokee County. I currently receive school tax exemption for this property. My neighbor and I just purchased five more acres that joins my property. Will I be eligible for school tax exemption on this new purchased five acres?

    • Kathy & Ben May 26, 2013, 8:18 am

      We always recommend talking to your county’s assessor office but our understanding is that the homestead exemption is for your primary residence only.

  • Dennis January 24, 2014, 8:16 am

    Does Cherokee County have a form to download for the Homestead Exemption like Cobb County does?

    • Kathy & Ben January 24, 2014, 9:52 am

      Dennis, we could find nothing online. Here is the department’s number if you wish to call: (678) 493-6140

  • Danette February 28, 2014, 12:17 pm

    I bought a home in Cherokee County with my Mother in order to care for my Grandparents. My mother qualified for the exemption, but I do not. My Grandparents are still living in the home and are in their 90’s. Do I still qualify for the exemption, and do I need to change anything?

    • Kathy & Ben February 28, 2014, 12:48 pm

      Danette, you’ll want to call the Tax Assessor’s office (678) 493-6120. Sorry we are not qualified to advise on this.

  • Pat February 17, 2016, 1:44 pm

    To qualify for tax exemption you must be 62 years of age or older on or before January 1st of the effective tax year.
    I’m in Cherokee county, I turned 62 on Jan 12. Am I elegible for the tax exemption this year or next?

    Thanks You..

    • Kathy & Ben February 21, 2016, 2:25 pm

      Our understanding is that someone on the deed must be 62 as of January 1 but would suggest you verify with the County- (678) 493-6120

  • Jan January 26, 2017, 8:59 am

    I presently have a home in Cobb Co, & am considering moving to Cherokee. My son will then live in the Cobb house. May I take the SE noir discount in both counties?


Leave a Comment

Next Post:

Previous Post:

Georgia Mortgage Rates
30 Year Fixed loading...
15 Year Fixed loading...
5/1 ARM loading...


  • 2017 (15)
  • 2016 (24)
  • 2015 (66)
  • 2014 (53)
  • 2013 (82)
  • 2012 (100)
  • 2011 (125)